WASHING HUMAN HAIR
- Make a bath for your extensions/wig. Put a teaspoon of sulfate-free shampoo in a half cup of lukewarm water and mix them together. When you’re finished mixing, fill your sink with warm water and pour in the diluted shampoo. Why sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfates are the cleaning detergents in shampoos that cause them to foam. Sulfates are effective cleaners, however, they can dry out the natural oils in your hair that serve to protect it. Your body is constantly creating new oils for your natural hair, but your extensions do not have a direct supply, so you need to be very careful about drying them out. Sulfates can cause split ends to form in your hair, they your hair look dry or frizzy over time. Therefore, check the ingredients at the back of shampoo bottle to ensure it is sulphate free.
- Add your extensions/wig. Slowly dip your extensions/wig into the water. Let them soak for about two minutes. Don’t swirl your hair in the water to get them clean.
- Rinse your extensions/wig. Gently take your extensions/wig out of the sink and rinse them under cold running water to lock moisture in the hair. Wring out any excess water and spread the extensions/wig out flat on top of a fresh towel.
- Condition the extensions/wig. Apply some conditioner directly to your extensions/wig. Comb the conditioner into them and let them sit for about an hour. When combing, make sure to only comb the hair in one direction at a time or it could lose its shape. Never comb extensions/wig that are soaking wet or they will become tangled.
- Dry your extensions/wig. Rinse the conditioner out of the hair using cold running water. Lay your extensions/wig flat onto a new, dry towel. Leave them to dry naturally overnight. When your extensions are dry, comb through them one more time to straighten them out.
- Brush your extensions. Not only does brushing remove any tangles from your extensions, it also spreads the essential oils in them evenly across the strands. Gently brush your extensions every day to smooth them out and give them a healthy luster.
- To maintain fresh and curly look, apply a little oil sheen. Avoid excessive build-up of oils. This causes the hair to disintegrate as in the photo below:
- With proper care, our human hair does not tangle or shed and can be dyed. However, one should avoid excessive build-up of oils which cause the hair to disintegrate as in the photo below: